Skip to main content

Birth and Death Certificate Amendments

Please help us process your application as quickly as possible. Check to make sure your application is complete before you submit it. Missing information will result in processing delays. 

All legal changes to a record (new adoptions, paternities, amendments and delayed registrations) can take up to 4 months to complete. Prompt responses to inquiries will help us complete your request more quickly. 

An Oklahoma birth (or death) certificate may require an amendment if the initial information was:

  • recorded in error by the health provider (or funeral director)
  • provided in error by the parent (or informant)
  • was missing because it was not provided at the time of registration or
  • has since legally changed, e.g. name

In accordance with state law, amended records are marked “amended”. The date of the amendment, as well as a summary description of the evidence, is also indicated on the record.

All requests for amendment are subject to review of the applicant’s legal eligibility to make the request, any previous amendments to the record, any previous court or administrative action, and verification of acceptable supporting documentation. Specific instructions will be issued on a case-by-case basis.

Replacing/Sealing Oklahoma Birth Records

The only time an Oklahoma birth record will be sealed and replaced without being marked as “amended” is when the legal parents are changed, e.g. adoption or paternity. By law, changes to parentage are confidential; the original record is sealed and the final record is not marked as amended.

Contact Information

Mailing Address:
Oklahoma State Department of Health
Office of Vital Records
P.O. Box 248964
Oklahoma City, OK 73124-8964

Phone: (405) 426-8880

This is what people are saying about our will call service

"Everything worked smoothly and was easy to understand!"